The syllabus for HPSC HCS is quite big and hence, the preparation should be started at the earliest. The prelims is a qualifying exam which means, you should be thorough with the preparation in order to get selected for mains. This is possible when you understand the syllabus thoroughly.
HPSC HCS Preliminary Exam Syllabus
It consists of two papers i.e. General Studies & Civil Service Aptitude.
General Studies Syllabus
- General Science.
- Latest events of national and foreign importance.
- Indian History and National Movement in the country.
- Indian and World Geography.
- Culture of India, Polity and Economy of the country.
- General Mental Ability.
- Haryana–its Economy, and people.
Civil Service Aptitude Syllabus
- Communication skills
- Logical reasoning
- Analytical ability
- Problem-solving skis
- General mental ability
- Numbers and their relations
- Data interpretation (including charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency, etc.)
HPSC HCS Mains Syllabus- Compulsory Subjects Syllabus
- English and English Essay Syllabus
Questions in English are designed to test a candidate's abilities to understand and write good English. English papers include précis writing expansion, tests in vocabulary and any other form of composition that may be suitable.
- Hindi and Hindi Essay (in Devnagri Script) Syllabus
Translation of an English passage into Hindi.
Explanation of Hindi passage into prose & poetry in the same language.
Composition (idioms, corrections etc.)
- General Knowledge Syllabus
This paper is designed to judge the candidate's knowledge and awareness related to current events. This section includes papers from historical, geographical and economic importance, with special reference to Haryana.
The Viva-voce section is included to test the personal qualities of the test-takers. This test is included to test the candidates’ awareness, intelligence, and general outlook. Importance will also be paid towards the physical appearance of the candidate. Vice Voce will be taken in Hindi or in English based upon the option selected by the candidates.