- Basic concepts of Electrical Engineering: Concepts of inductance, resistance, capacitance. Factors affecting concepts of energy, current, power, units and so on.
- Magnetic Circuit: Concepts of reluctance, mmf and flux. Magnetic materials and its types. Magnetic calculations for different configuration and conductors. Mutual and self induction, electromagnetic induction.
- Circuit Law: Circuit solution using different network theorems, Kirchhoff’s law
- Measurement and instruments: Measurement of energy and power. Measurement of frequency and phase angle voltmeter and ammeter. Extension of range multimeter, wattmeter, signal generator, earth fault detection and so on.
- AC Fundamentals: Instantaneous, peak, RMS and average values of alternating waves, DC and sinusoidal response of R-Land R-C circuit, Resonance, simple series and parallel AC Circuits consisting of RL and C, Representation of sinusoidal waveform Tank Circuit PolyPhase system – star and delta connection, 3 phase power.
- Electrical Machines: (1) DC Machine – Construction, Basic Principles of DC motors and generators, characteristics, speed control and starting of DC Motors. Method of braking motor, efficiency, Losses of DC Machines. (2) 1 phase and 3 phase transformers – Construction, Principles of operation, voltage regulation, equivalent circuit, OC and SC Tests, frequency and wave form on losses Parallel operation of 1 phase /3 phase transformers Auto transformers, Losses and efficiency Effect of voltage. (3) 3 phase induction motors, rotating magnetic field, equivalent circuit, principle of operation, torque-speed characteristics, and starting and speed control of 3 phase induction motors. Methods of braking, effect of voltage and frequency variation on torque speed characteristics. Fractional Kilowatt Motors and Single Phase Induction Motors: Applications and their Characteristics.
- Transmission, Distribution and Generation: Different types of power stations, diversity factor, load factor, cost of generation, demand factor, inter-connection of power stations. Power factor improvement, types of faults, various types of tariffs, short circuit current for symmetrical faults. Switchgears – rating of circuit breakers, Principles of arc extinction by oil and air, Protection against earth leakage / over current, HRC Fuses, Merz-Price system of protection of transformers and generators, protection of feeders and bus bars Lightning arresters, comparison of conductor materials, various transmission and distribution system, efficiency of different system Cable – Different type of cables, cable rating and derating factor
- Synchronous Machines - Generation of 3-phase emf armature reaction, parallel operation of two alternators, synchronizing, voltage regulation, control of active and reactive power. Different applications of synchronous motors.
- Basic Electronics: Working of various electronic devices such as Transistors (NPN and PNP type), P N Junction, BJT and JFET.
- Utilization of Electrical Energy: Electric heating, illumination, electric welding, electric drives and motors, Electroplating and so on.
- Estimation and costing: Estimation of lighting scheme, electric installation of machines and relevant IE rules, earthing practices.