The most important step before applying for an examination is to check its eligibility criteria. Below are the eligibility criteria for UGC NET in detail. The candidates must go through the educational, age, and nationality qualifications before applying for the exam.
UGC NET 2022 Eligibility: Nationality
The UGC NET Exam is conducted only for Indian nationals. The aim is to select the best candidates for posts of Assistant professors and Junior Research Fellowships or JRFS among Indian nationals for various Indian universities, colleges, and institutes.
UGC NET Age Limits and Relaxation
Applying candidates must follow the age criteria of UGC NET 2022 as declared by the official notification. The age criteria are given below:
- There is no maximum age limit for the post of Assistant Professor.
- Candidates applying for a Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) must not be more than 31 years.
- There is no particular age limit for Lecturership.
- Age relaxation is provided to the reserved category candidates as per the Government of India norms to apply for UGC NET JRF:
||UGC NET Age Limit
|SC/ST, OBC/Women/PwD/ Transgender
||5 years (Up to the age of 36 Years)
|Candidates having research experience
||Maximum 5 years spent on research
|Candidates possessing L.L.M. Degree
|Candidates who have served in the armed forces
UGC NET Educational Qualifications
The educational qualification is the most important criterion of eligibility. Given below are the details of the eligibility criteria instructed by UGC NET:
- Qualification: Applying candidates must have a Master’s degree in a relevant field from a recognized board or university.
- Appearing Candidates: Those candidates appearing in their final examinations, completing their postgraduation or awaiting results can also apply for the exam.
- Marks: A minimum of 55% aggregate marks should be scored by General candidates, Relaxation of 5% is allowed for reserved candidates (SC/ ST/ OBC/ PWD/ Transgender, and others)