Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world.~NELSON MANDELA
National Education Policy 2020
Education is the process of facilitating learning or investment in knowledge, beliefs, skills, habits. Education is fundamental for achieving full human potential and promoting national development. Universal high-quality education is the best way forward for developing our country’s rich talents and resources for the good of the individual, the society, the country, and the world. India will have the highest population of young people in the world over the next decade and the ability to provide high-quality educational opportunities to them will determine the future of the country.
In the words of Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam “When learning is purposeful, creativity blossoms. When creativity blossoms, thinking emanates, When thinking emanates, knowledge is fully lit. When knowledge is lit, the economy flourishes.”
The National Education Policy 2020 which was approved by the Union Cabinet of India on 29 July 2020, outlines the vision of India’s new education system. The new policy replaces the previous National Policy on Education,1986. The policy aims to transform India’s education system by 2040.
An honest institution is one within which each and every student feels welcomed and cared for, with a noteworthy learning environment, where an outsized range of learning experiences are offered and where good physical infrastructure and appropriate resources conducive to learning are available to the students. The Education system will now consider various aspects a bit like the flexibleness to make a decision on subjects as per their interests, recognizing and fostering the unique capabilities of a student, emphasis on conceptual understanding, life skills, extensive use of technology, ethics, human constitutional values, and much more.
Official Website- New National Education Policy 2020
The policy envisages that the extant 10+2 structure in-class education is modified with a replacement pedagogical and curricular restructuring of 5+3+3+4 covering ages 3-18. Currently, children within the age group of 3-6 aren’t covered within the 10+2 structure as Class1 begins at age 6. within the new 5+3+3+4 structure, a sturdy base of your time of life Care and Education from age 3 is additionally included, which is geared toward promoting better overall learning, development, and well-being. ECCE has the potential to present all young children such access which will help them in the long run. Enjoyable and inspirational books for faculty students within the slightest degree levels are developed, including through high- quality translation in all local and Indian languages will be made available. Public and college libraries will be significantly expanded to form a culture of reading across the country. The aim of education will not only be cognitive development but also building character and creating holistic and well-rounded individuals.
Changes in the School Education System
The 5+3+3+4 model
- FOUNDATIONAL STAGE– This will cover children from 3 -8 years of age covering pre-school to 2nd.This will aim at flexible, play-based, activity-based learning
- PREPARATORY STAGE– This will cover children from 8-11 years of age covering classes 3to 5. This will introduce subjects like reading, writing, speaking, art, science, math, and physical education.
- MIDDLE STAGE– This will cover children between 11-14 years of age covering classes 6-8.This will introduce students to the more abstract concepts in subjects of mathematics, sciences, social sciences, arts and humanities.
- SECONDARY STAGE– Covering classes 9-12 comprising of children between 15-18 years of age. These 4 years of study are intended to inculcate a multidisciplinary study, coupled with the depth and critical thinking. Multiple options for subjects will be provided.
- Coding will be introduced in class 6 itself.
- Instead of exams being held every academic year, school students will only answer three exams, in classes 3, 5, and 8.
- Board exams will be continued to be held for classes 10 and 12 but will be re-designed. To make them easier, these exams would be conducted twice a year, with students being offered up to two attempts.
Higher education plays a really important role in promoting human pedagogy significantly contributes to sustainable livelihoods and economic development of the state. The new policy offers multidisciplinary baccalaureate with multiple exit options.
- A certificate after completing 1 year of study.
- A diploma after completing 2 years of study.
- A degree after completion of a 3-year program.
- The fees of both private and public universities are visiting be fixed. The policy proposes that instruction institutes a bit like the IITs make changes with relevance to the variability of learning.
- Masters of Philosophy courses are to be discontinued
The new Education policy 2020 has more to offer, it has also brought changes in teacher’s and teacher’s education. To become a teacher a 4 year Bachelor of Education will be the minimum qualification required. The process of recruiting teachers will be more transparent. This will ensure that students are taught by professionals, highly -qualified, and trained teachers at all levels.
“EDUCATION IS THE FOOD OF YOUTH, THE DELIGHT OF OLD AGE, THE ORNAMENT OF PROSPERITY ,THE REFUGE AND COMFORT OF ADVERSITY ,AND THE PROVOCATION TO GRACE IN THE SOUL.”~SAINT AUGUSTINE