Drake University may be a private college in Des Moines, Iowa. Established in 1881, it is the most seasoned private university in Iowa and is known for its solid scholastics, Division I sports, and vibrant campus life.
Drake may be a liberal arts college with over 50 undergraduate majors and 50 graduate programs. The college is additionally domestic to the Drake Law School, the Drake College College of Drug store and Wellbeing Sciences, and the Drake Godlikeness School.
Drake’s academic programs are positioned among the leading within the nation. The university is reliably positioned within the beat 150 national colleges by U.S. News & World Report. Drake is additionally known for its solid programs in trade, law, drug store, and instruction.
Drake’s games groups compete within the Missouri Valley Conference (MVC). The Bulldogs have won 18 national championships, counting the 1969 NCAA Division I Men’s Ball Championship. Drake is additionally domestic to the Drake Transfers, one of the most seasoned and biggest track and field meets within the Joined together States.
Drake’s campus is found within the heart of Des Moines. The university’s 40-acre campus is domestic to a assortment of scholastic buildings, home lobbies, and athletic offices. Drake’s campus is additionally domestic to the Des Moines Craftsmanship Center, the Des Moines Social Club, and the Pappajohn Form Stop.
- Solid scholastics: Drake University is reliably positioned among the finest colleges and universities within the nation. The college offers over 50 undergraduate majors and 50 graduate programs, and is known for its solid programs in trade, law, drug store, and instruction.
- Division I games: Drake University’s sports groups compete within the Missouri Valley Conference (MVC). The Bulldogs have won 18 national championships, counting the 1969 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship. Drake is additionally domestic to the Drake Transfers, one of the oldest and biggest track and field meets within the Joined together States.
- Dynamic campus life: Drake University incorporates a dynamic campus life with over 200 understudy organizations and clubs. The college moreover has a assortment of social occasions and exercises all through the year.
- Commitment to differences and consideration: Drake University is committed to making a different and comprehensive community. The college offers a assortment of programs and activities to advance differing qualities and incorporation, counting the Drake College Differing qualities and Consideration Committee and the Drake University Center for Ladies and Sexual orientation Thinks about.
- Noteworthy campus: Drake University’s campus may be a wonderful and memorable campus with numerous point of interest buildings. The university’s most seasoned building, Ancient Fundamental, was built in 1860 and is recorded on the National Enlist of Noteworthy Places.
|Fall semester||August 28, 2023||Start of classes|
|Fall semester||September 4, 2023||Labor Day (university closed; classes do not meet)|
|Fall semester||October 16-17, 2023||Fall break (classes do not meet)|
|Fall semester||November 10, 2023||Last day to add/drop classes|
|Fall semester||December 5-15, 2023||Final exams|
|Spring semester||January 16, 2024||Start of classes|
|Spring semester||March 6-8, 2024||Spring break (classes do not meet)|
|Spring semester||April 4, 2024||Last day to add/drop classes|
|Spring semester||May 9-18, 2024||Final exams|
|Summer semester||May 15, 2024||Start of summer semester|
|Summer semester||May 29, 2024||Memorial Day (university closed; classes do not meet)|
|Summer semester||June 19, 2024||Juneteenth observance (university closed; classes do not meet)|
|Summer semester||July 3, 2024||Independence Day observance (university closed; classes do not meet)|
|Summer semester||August 20, 2024||End of summer semester|
Courses Fees & Eligibility
|Undergraduate tuition||$44,220||Full-time undergraduate student|
|Graduate tuition||$48,160||Full-time graduate student|
|Room and board||$13,000||On-campus student|
|Meal plan||$3,500||On-campus student|
|Books and supplies||$1,000||All students|
|Personal expenses||$1,000||All students|
Drake University does not have published admissions cutoffs. However, the university does consider a variety of factors when making admissions decisions, including:
- GPA: The average GPA for admitted students is 3.68.
- SAT/ACT scores: The middle 50% of admitted students had SAT scores between 1120 and 1370 or ACT scores between 24 and 31.
- Class rank: 68% of admitted students graduated in the top 25% of their class.
- Extracurricular activities: Drake University is looking for students who are involved in extracurricular activities and who have demonstrated leadership and commitment.
- Essays: The essays are an important part of the application process. Students should write essays that are well-written and that demonstrate their personality and unique qualities.
- Letters of recommendation: Letters of recommendation from teachers, counselors, or other mentors can help to provide the admissions committee with a more holistic view of the applicant.
Here are the details of Drake University’s admission results for the 2022-2023 academic year:
- Total number of applicants: 6,745
- Number of admitted students: 3,096
- Acceptance rate: 46.2%
- Average GPA: 3.68
- Middle 50% SAT scores: 1120-1370
- Middle 50% ACT scores: 24-31
- Class rank: 68% in the top 25% of their class
The acceptance rate at Drake University is competitive, but it is not as selective as some other top universities. The average GPA and test scores for admitted students are also above average. However, there are many factors that the admissions committee considers, so it is important to submit a strong application that highlights your academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and personal qualities.
Drake University has a strong record of student placement. According to the university’s website, the following are the placement rates for graduates from the class of 2022:
- 92% of graduates were employed or continuing their education within six months of graduation.
- The average starting salary for graduates was $56,000.
- The most popular industries for Drake graduates were business, education, and healthcare.
- The most popular employers for Drake graduates were Wells Fargo, Deloitte, and EY.
Merit-based scholarships are awarded to students based on their academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and personal qualities. Some of the merit-based scholarships offered by Drake University include:
- National Alumni Scholarship Program: This scholarship is awarded to outstanding first-year students entering directly from high school.
- Presidential Scholarships: These scholarships are awarded to students with high academic achievement and leadership potential.
- Changemaker Scholars: These scholarships are awarded to students who have demonstrated a commitment to making a difference in the world.
- Legacy Awards: These scholarships are awarded to children or grandchildren of Drake University alumni.
Need-based scholarships are awarded to students based on their financial need. Some of the need-based scholarships offered by Drake University include:
- Federal Pell Grant: This grant is awarded to students with financial need based on their FAFSA application.
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG): This grant is awarded to students with financial need who demonstrate exceptional financial need.
- Drake University Grant: This grant is awarded to students with financial need who are admitted to Drake University.
Drake University’s campus is found within the heart of Des Moines, Iowa. The 40-acre campus is domestic to a assortment of scholastic buildings, home lobbies, and athletic offices. The university’s most seasoned building, Ancient Fundamental, was built in 1860 and is recorded on the National Enlist of Notable Places.
Here are some of the things that make Drake University’s campus unique:
- Small-town feel in a big city: Drake University is located in the heart of Des Moines, but the campus has a small-town feel. The university is surrounded by parks and green space, and the campus is home to a variety of trees and flowers.
- Historic buildings: Drake University’s campus is home to a variety of historic buildings, including Old Main, which was built in 1860. These buildings provide a sense of history and tradition for students.
- Cultural attractions: Drake University’s campus is home to the Des Moines Art Center, the Des Moines Social Club, and the Pappajohn Sculpture Park. These cultural attractions offer a variety of events and exhibitions throughout the year, and they are open to the public.
- Active student life: Drake University has a vibrant student life. The university offers a variety of student organizations and activities, including clubs, fraternities, sororities, and intramural sports.
- Diverse student body: Drake University has a diverse student body. Students come from all over the United States and the world, and they bring a variety of cultures and perspectives to the university.
Frequently Asked Questions
Drake University’s ranking in the 2022-2023 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #137. Its tuition and fees are $47,912. Drake University, located in Des Moines, Iowa, offers a range of student activities.
Drake University is ranked #137 out of 443 National Universities. Schools are ranked according to their performance across a set of widely accepted indicators of excellence
With a GPA of 3.68, Drake University requires you to be above average in your high school class. You’ll need at least a mix of A’s and B’s, with more A’s than B’s. You can compensate for a lower GPA with harder classes, like AP or IB classes.