SSC CGL (Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level) is a national-level exam conducted by the Staff Selection Commission for recruitment of candidates in various Group B and Group C posts in the Government of India. The syllabus for the SSC CGL exam is as follows:
SSC Combined Graduate Level (CGL) Exam syllabus
- General Intelligence & Reasoning: This section tests the candidate’s logical reasoning and analytical abilities. Some of the topics covered in this section include analogies, coding and decoding, syllogism, verbal and non-verbal reasoning, problem-solving, etc.
- General Awareness: This section tests the candidate’s knowledge of current affairs, static GK, and general knowledge. Some of the topics covered in this section include history, geography, polity, economics, science, current affairs, etc.
- Quantitative Aptitude: This section tests the candidate’s numerical ability and problem-solving skills. Some of the topics covered in this section include number system, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, percentage, ratio and proportion, profit and loss, time and distance, etc.
- English Language & Comprehension: This section tests the candidate’s English language skills, including grammar, vocabulary, comprehension, and writing ability.
SSC CGL Syllabus In Details
|I||General Intelligence and Reasoning||Analogy, Classification, Coding-Decoding, Puzzle, Matrix, Word Formation, Venn Diagram, Direction and Distance, Blood Relations, Series, Verbal reasoning, Non-Verbal reasoning|
|I||General Awareness||History, Culture, Geography, Economic Scene, General Policy, Scientific Research|
|I||Quantitative Aptitude||Simplification, Interest, Percentage, Ratio and Proportion, Average, Problems on Ages, Speed, Distance and Time, Number System, Mensuration, Data Interpretation, Time and Work, Algebra, Geometry|
|I||English Comprehension||Comprehension Passage, Synonyms and Antonyms, One-word Substitution, Error Spotting, Idioms and Phrases, Spelling Correction|
|II||Quantitative Ability||Simplification, Interest, Percentage, Ratio and Proportion, Average, Problems on Ages, Speed, Distance and Time, Number System, Mensuration, Data Interpretation, Time and Work, Algebra, Geometry|
|II||English Language and Comprehension||Fill in the Blanks, Sentence Improvement, Error Detection, Idioms and Phrases, One Word Substitution, Comprehension Passage|
|II||Statistics (only for Statistical Investigator Grade-II and Compiler)||Collection, Classification, and Presentation of Statistical Data, Measures of Central Tendency, Measures of Dispersion, Moments, Skewness, and Kurtosis, Correlation and Regression, Probability Theory, Random Variable and Probability Distributions, Sampling Theory, Statistical Inference, Analysis of Variance, Time Series Analysis|
|III||Descriptive Paper in English/Hindi||Writing of Essay, Precis, Letter, Application, etc.|
|IV||Skill Test/Computer Proficiency Test||Wherever applicable|
SSC CGL Important Topics & Weightage
The SSC CGL (Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level) exam is a highly competitive exam conducted by the Staff Selection Commission to recruit staff for various Group B and Group C posts in the Government of India. The exam is conducted in four stages, namely Tier-I, Tier-II, Tier-III, and Tier-IV.
SSC CGL Important Topics & Weightage Tier-1 Exam:
Number of Questions
|I||General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50||Analogy, Classification, Coding-Decoding, Puzzle, Matrix, Venn Diagram, Blood Relations, Direction Sense Test, Series, Statement and Conclusions, Non-Verbal Reasoning|
|I||General Awareness||25||50||History, Polity, Geography, Economics, Current Affairs, General Science|
|I||Quantitative Aptitude||25||50||Number System, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Mensuration, Data Interpretation|
|I||English Comprehension||25||50||Reading Comprehension, Grammar, Vocabulary, Para Jumbles, Error Correction|
SSC CGL Important Topics & Weightage Tier-2 Exam:
Number of Questions
|I||Quantitative Ability||100||200||Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Data Interpretation|
|II||English Language & Comprehension||200||200||Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary, Grammar, Sentence Correction, Synonyms, Antonyms|
|III||Statistics||100||200||Probability, Sampling, Regression, Time Series Analysis, Index Numbers|
|IV||General Studies (Finance and Economics)||100||200||Finance, Economics, Accounting, Governance, Business|
SSC CGL Important Topics & Weightage Tier-3 Exam:
|Descriptive Writing||100||Essay Writing, Letter/Application Writing, Precis Writing|
SSC CGL Important Topics & Weightage Tier-4 Exam:
|Skill Test/Computer Proficiency Test (CPT)||This test is conducted for some specific posts, where candidates’ skills in typing, data entry, and other computer-related tasks are evaluated. The skill test may vary depending on the specific post applied for.|
SSC CGL Exam Pattern
Number of Questions
|I||Online||60 minutes (80 minutes for PwD candidates)||100||200||General Intelligence and Reasoning, General Awareness, Quantitative Aptitude, English Comprehension||+2 for correct answer, -0.50 for incorrect answer|
|II||Online||120 minutes (160 minutes for PwD candidates)||500 (100 questions in each section)||800 (200 marks in each section)||Quantitative Ability, English Language and Comprehension, Statistics (only for Statistical Investigator Grade-II and Compiler), General Studies (only for Assistant Audit Officer)||+2 for correct answer in Paper I, III and IV, +1 for correct answer in Paper II, -0.50 for incorrect answer in Paper I, III and IV, -0.25 for incorrect answer in Paper II|
|III||Offline||60 minutes (80 minutes for PwD candidates)||N/A||100||Writing of Essay, Precis, Letter, Application, etc.||Total marks obtained in the paper|
|IV||Skill Test/Computer Proficiency Test||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||Qualifying in nature|
SSC CGL Preparation Tips
Here are some tips to help you prepare for the SSC CGL exam:
- Understand the exam pattern and syllabus: First and foremost, understand the exam pattern and syllabus thoroughly. This will help you identify the topics and subjects that you need to focus on.
- Create a study plan: Once you understand the exam pattern and syllabus, create a study plan that covers all the topics and subjects. Divide your study plan into small and achievable goals to make it easier to accomplish.
- Practice previous year question papers and mock tests: Practice previous year question papers and mock tests to understand the exam pattern and the type of questions asked. This will help you identify your strengths and weaknesses and improve your time management skills.
- Focus on important topics: Focus on important topics that carry more weightage in the exam. For instance, in Tier-I, the Quantitative Aptitude and General Awareness sections carry the most weightage.
- Improve your accuracy and speed: Accuracy and speed are crucial in the SSC CGL exam. Therefore, practice regularly to improve your accuracy and speed.
- Read newspapers and current affairs: The General Awareness section in Tier-I and Tier-II includes questions on current affairs and general knowledge. Therefore, read newspapers and current affairs to stay updated on current events.
- Take breaks and stay motivated: It is important to take breaks and stay motivated while preparing for the exam. This will help you stay focused and avoid burnout.