The Maitraka empire had Valabhi as its capital from 480 until 775 CE. Identical to the old state of Vala, it was an important port for international trade located in Saurashtra; today, it is known as Valabhi and is situated in the Bhavnagar district of Gujarat in western India. A Chinese traveler named Yijing had noted that the education offered at Valabhi was equivalent to the education offered at Nalanda, which is located in the state of Bihar, in the area of education. The Indian central government began to take a proposal to resurrect the historic institution under consideration in September 2017.A proposal was submitted to the federal government under the auspices of Sanghkaya, and the Union Ministry of Culture has approved it.
Table of Contents
All of Northern India was aware of Valabhi’s significance. According to Kathasaritsagara, a Brahmana made the decision to send his son to Valabhi rather than Nalanda or Banaras. Its Panditas included Gunamati and Sthiramati, but nothing is known about the other illustrious teachers and thinkers who resided there. It is unquestionably true that the Panditas of Valabhi, who were respected scholars, accorded great weight to their seal of approval on the teachings of several professors. A Chinese pilgrim named Xuanzang and Yijing both traveled to Valabhi around the seventh century. According to Yijing, the university is on par with Nalanda, a Buddhist monastic center.
Here are some important dates in the history of University:
- 600 CE: University is founded by the Maitraka dynasty in Saurashtra, Gujarat.
- 700 CE: University becomes a major center of learning, attracting scholars from all over India and the world.
- 1000 CE: University declines due to political instability and the rise of other centers of learning.
- 1950 CE: University is revived by the Government of India as a Sanskrit University.
- 2004 CE: Vallabhi University is renamed as Vallabh Vidyapeeth.
The QS World University Rankings and the Times Higher Education World University Rankings do not list Vallabhi University among their top universities. This is due to the university’s relative youth and the fact that its degree of research output is lower than that of other universities. But Vallabhi University, a reputable institution in India, provides a high-quality education.
Here are some of the factors that affect the ranking of a university:
- Research output: The number of research papers published by a university’s faculty and students.
- Internationalization: The number of international students and faculty at a university.
- Teaching quality: The quality of teaching at a university, as measured by student surveys and other metrics.
- Employability: The success of a university’s graduates in finding jobs after graduation.
Courses,Fees & Eligibility
The fees for Vallabhi University vary depending on the course, course duration, and student category. However, the approximate fees for some courses are as follows:
- Bachelor of Arts in English (BA): ₹100,000
- Master of Arts in English (MA): ₹150,000
- Ph.D. in English: ₹200,000
- Bachelor of Arts in English (BA): Applicants must have passed the 12th standard examination with English as a compulsory subject.
- Master of Arts in English (MA): Applicants must have passed a Bachelor’s degree in English or a related discipline with a minimum of 50% marks.
- Ph.D. in English: Applicants must have passed a Master’s degree in English or a related discipline with a minimum of 55% marks.
In addition to the above, applicants must also meet the following criteria:
- They must be a citizen of India.
- They must have a valid passport.
- They must have a good academic record.
- They must have passed the entrance examination conducted by Vallabhi University.
The admissions process of University is competitive, and the school receives a lot of applications each year. The university employs a holistic admissions process, which means it takes a number of things into account when deciding whether to admit a student, such as academic performance, test scores, extracurricular involvement, and personal essays.
The following are the steps involved in the Vallabhi University admission process:
- Submit an application form. The application form can be submitted online or by mail. The application form requires the applicant to provide personal information, academic information, standardized test scores, extracurricular activities, and personal essays.
- Submit standardized test scores. Vallabhi University requires applicants to submit standardized test scores from either the SAT or the ACT.
- Submit letters of recommendation. Applicants are required to submit two letters of recommendation from teachers or other professionals who can speak to their academic abilities and character.
- Submit a personal essay. The personal essay is an opportunity for applicants to share their story and explain why they are interested in attending Vallabhi University.
- Attend an interview. Vallabhi University offers interviews to a select number of applicants. Interviews are an opportunity for applicants to learn more about the university and for the university to learn more about the applicant.
University cut offs are the minimum marks that a student must score in order to be considered for admission to the university. The cut offs vary depending on the course and the year of admission.
The cut offs for the 2023-2024 academic year are as follows:
- Bachelor of Arts in English (BA): 60%
- Master of Arts in English (MA): 65%
- Ph.D. in English: 70%
Results for the academic year 2023–2024 at University have been made public. The outcomes are available on the university’s website.
Your registration number and birthdate are required to check your results. The results will include your overall grade as well as your marks in each topic.
You can ask for a reevaluation if you’re unhappy with your results. On the university’s website, a revaluation application form can be downloaded.
The placement office at University is in charge of assisting graduates in finding employment. The unit coordinates campus recruitment initiatives and offers training and counseling to students.
The placement cell consistently places students in reputable businesses. The average compensation package for students hired through the placement cell in the academic year 2022–2023 was 6 lakhs rupees annually.
Infosys, Wipro, TCS, Amazon, and Microsoft are a few of the businesses that have conducted recruitment drives on the Vallabhi University campus.
University offers a variety of scholarships to students who demonstrate academic excellence, financial need, or other criteria. Some of the scholarships available at Vallabhi University include:
- The President’s Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to students with outstanding academic records.
- The Vice Chancellor’s Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to students with good academic records and financial need.
- The Merit Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to students who have demonstrated academic excellence in a particular subject.
- The Sports Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to students who have represented the university in sports.
- The Cultural Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to students who have excelled in cultural activities.
Gujarat, India’s Vallabhipur, is home to the Vallabhi University campus. It is a sizable campus with well-kept buildings, verdant gardens, and contemporary amenities. The campus also features a canteen, a sports complex, a library, and a handful of dorms.
Over 10,000 students from throughout India are enrolled on the campus. A vibrant and diverse academic community is made possible by the students’ diversity of backgrounds and cultural backgrounds.
Additional research centers and institutes are located on the campus. These institutions carry out research in many different areas, such as the humanities, social sciences, engineering, and science.
- Atul Joshi: He is a senior advocate in the Supreme Court of India. He is known for his work in the field of environmental law.
- Chitra Tripathi: She is a former judge of the Gujarat High Court. She is known for her work in the field of women’s rights.
- Dhirendra Mishra: He is a professor of economics at the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi. He is known for his work in the field of development economics.
- Manoj Sinha: He is the current Governor of Bihar. He is a former Union Minister of Railways
- Nilamja Roy: She is a senior journalist and author. She is known for her work on social justice issues.
Maitraka empire was the capital of Valabhi and Bhattarka, the king of the Maitraka empire founded this university.
Vallabhi University was located in Bhavnagar of Gujarat, which was an important center of Buddhist learning, this university was built by Raja Bhattaraka of Maitraka. An interesting aspect of this is that, along with being the center of Buddhism, teachings of Vedic practices and Brahmanism were also given here.
Unfortunately, the knowledge center was also destroyed by Bakhtiyar Khilji in 1193 AD. Vallabhi Vidhyapith (University) was founded by Maitraka Dynasty of Saurashtra in 600 AD. Maitraka Dynasty ruled Saurashtra from 475 to 776 AD with their capital in Vallabhi, which is now Bhavnagar