The Vidyasagar University Act 1981 (West Bengal Act XVIII of 1981), named for Pandit Iswar Chandra Bandyopadhyay, also known as Vidyasagar, a Bengali educator and social activist, was passed on September 29, 1981, and it founded the university. On March 1, 1990, the University received financial recognition from the University Grants Commission (UGC) under section 12B. 182.75 acres make up the entire university, of which 103.74 acres are on the main campus and 35.04 acres are on the residential campus.
Table of Contents
In honor of Pandit Iswar Chandra Bandyopadhyay, popularly known as Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar, a Bengali educator and social worker who lived in the 19th century, the institution was founded on September 29, 1981, under the authority of the Vidyasagar institution Act 1981 (West Bengal Act XVIII of 1981). On March 1st, 1990, the University Grants Commission granted recognition to the institution under Section 12 B.
A professor from the Anthropology Department wrote a brief history of Vidyasagar University in Bengali, which was published in Kolkata in January 2001. As one of the university’s first professors, the author of this book described the goals of the organization as well as any deviations and potential future directions in light of globalization.
Here are some important dates for Vidyasagar University for the academic year 2023-2024:
- Admissions closing dates:
- Diploma and certificate courses admission last date 18 August 2023
- Last date to apply for PhD programme 16 August 2023
- For incoming students: September 1-22, 2023
- For new faculty and staff: August 29-30, 2023
- First day of classes: September 26, 2023
- Mid-semester break: October 23-29, 2023
- Winter break: December 23, 2023 – January 2, 2024
- Spring break: March 6-12, 2024
- Final exams: May 8-19, 2024
In Midnapore, West Bengal, India, there is a public institution called Vidyasagar institution. It was established in 1981 and is named for the polymath and social reformer from Bengal, Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar.
In terms of universities in India, Vidyasagar University is placed 112th by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) 2023. It is additionally ranked 3321st globally.
In a range of fields, including the arts, sciences, engineering, and technology, the institution provides a number of undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs. There are numerous research centers and institutes there as well.
Here are some of the factors that contribute to the ranking of a university:
- Academic reputation: This is based on the peer assessment of academics and employers.
- Research: This is based on the number of publications and citations in peer-reviewed journals.
- Graduate outcomes: This is based on the placement record of graduates and their satisfaction with their education.
- Infrastructure: This includes the quality of the campus, library, and laboratories.
- Student diversity: This is based on the number of students from different social and economic backgrounds.
Courses,fees & Eligibility
Vidyasagar University offers a variety of undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs in a variety of disciplines, including arts, sciences, engineering, and technology. Here are some of the courses offered by Vidyasagar University:
- Undergraduate courses:
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in English
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in History
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Mathematics
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Physics
- Bachelor of Technology (BTech) in Computer Science and Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (BTech) in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (BTech) in Mechanical Engineering
- Postgraduate courses:
- Master of Arts (MA) in English
- Master of Arts (MA) in History
- Master of Science (MSc) in Mathematics
- Master of Science (MSc) in Physics
- Master of Technology (MTech) in Computer Science and Engineering
- Master of Technology (MTech) in Electrical Engineering
- Master of Technology (MTech) in Mechanical Engineering
- Doctoral courses:
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in English
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in History
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Mathematics
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Physics
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Computer Science and Engineering
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Electrical Engineering
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Mechanical Engineering
The cost of undergraduate education at University varies according to the course. However, the average annual cost of tuition for undergraduate programs is between INR 50,000 and INR 100,000.
The cost of postgraduate coursework at Vidyasagar University varies according on the course. However, the average annual cost of tuition for postgraduate programs is between 60,000 and 120,000 Indian rupees.
In addition to tuition, students could also be required to pay fees for things like the library, the mess, and the dorms.
For undergraduate students, the annual cost of the hostel is between INR 10,000 and INR 15,000. Undergraduate students must pay a mess charge of between 5000 and 7500 Indian rupees annually. Undergraduate students must pay INR for library fees.
Here are the eligibility criteria for admission to University :
- Must have passed the 10+2 examination with a minimum of 50% marks.
- Some courses may have additional requirements, such as having passed specific subjects.
- Must have passed a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 55% marks.
- Some courses may have additional requirements, such as having passed specific subjects or having a minimum work experience.
- Must have passed a Master’s degree with a minimum of 55% marks.
- Some courses may have additional requirements, such as having published research papers or having a minimum work experience.
The admission process for Vidyasagar University is as follows:
- Apply online: The first step is to apply online through the university’s website. The application form can be found here: https://onlineadmission.vidyasagar.ac.in/
- Upload documents: Applicants must upload the following documents along with the application form:
- Scanned copy of the 10+2 or equivalent marksheet
- Scanned copy of the passport-sized photograph
- Scanned copy of the signature
- Scanned copy of the caste certificate (if applicable)
- Take the entrance exam: If you are applying for an undergraduate course, you will need to take the Vidyasagar University Entrance Examination (VUEE). The VUEE exam is held every year and the dates are announced on the university’s website.
- Wait for the admission decision: The admission decisions are made on a merit basis. The selection committee considers the marks obtained by the students in the qualifying examination, as well as their performance in the entrance examination, if any.
The application fee for undergraduate courses is INR 500 and the application fee for postgraduate courses is INR 1000.
The deadline for applying for undergraduate courses is 18 August 2023 and the deadline for applying for postgraduate courses is 16 August 2023.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Here are some additional tips for applying to Vidyasagar University:
- Make sure to submit your application form early.
- Make sure to upload all the required documents.
- Take the VUEE exam seriously and prepare well for it.
- Apply for scholarships if you need financial assistance.
- Be patient and wait for the admission decision.
The cutoffs for admission to University vary depending on the course and the year of study. The cutoffs are also subject to change every year.
For the academic year 2023-2024, the cutoffs for some of the popular courses at Vidyasagar University are as follows:
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) in English: 60% (General) and 55% (Reserved)
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) in History: 55% (General) and 50% (Reserved)
- Bachelor of Science (Hons.) in Mathematics: 65% (General) and 60% (Reserved)
- Bachelor of Science (Hons.) in Physics: 60% (General) and 55% (Reserved)
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) in Computer Science and Engineering: 70% (General) and 65% (Reserved)
The cutoffs for postgraduate courses are generally lower than the cutoffs for undergraduate courses. For example, the cutoff for the Master of Arts (M.A.) in English is 55% (General) and 50% (Reserved).
The cutoffs are also affected by the number of seats available in the course and the number of applicants. For example, if there are more applicants for a particular course than there are seats available, the cutoff will be higher
The results for University are not yet out. The university is expected to release the results in the next few weeks. You can check the university’s website for the latest updates on the results.
Here are the steps on how to check your result:
- Go to the Vidyasagar University website.
- Click on the “Results” tab.
- Enter your registration number and date of birth.
- Click on the “Submit” button.
Some of the top companies that visited University for placement in 2022 include:
- HCL Technologies
University offers a number of scholarships to students. These scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit, financial need, or both.
Some of the scholarships offered by Vidyasagar University are:
- Swami Vivekananda Merit cum Means Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to students based on their academic merit and financial need. The scholarship amount is INR 14,400/- per year.
- State Government Scholarships: The state government of West Bengal offers a number of scholarships to students studying in Vidyasagar University. The eligibility criteria and scholarship amount vary depending on the scheme.
- Central Government Scholarships: The central government of India also offers a number of scholarships to students studying in Vidyasagar University. The eligibility criteria and scholarship amount vary depending on the scheme.
- Merit Scholarships: Vidyasagar University also offers a number of merit scholarships to students who have achieved outstanding academic results. The scholarship amount varies depending on the scheme.
- Need-based Scholarships: Vidyasagar University also offers a number of need-based scholarships to students who are from economically backward families. The scholarship amount varies depending on the family income
Here are some of the key features of the Vidyasagar University campus:
- Academic buildings: The campus has state-of-the-art academic buildings that are equipped with modern facilities.
- Hostels: The campus has separate hostels for boys and girls. The hostels are well-maintained and provide students with a comfortable place to live.
- Sports facilities: The campus has a variety of sports facilities, including a football field, a cricket ground, a swimming pool, and a gymnasium.
- Library: The library has a large collection of books, journals, and other resources. The library also has a number of study areas where students can work.
- Green spaces: The campus has a number of green spaces, including a lake and a garden. These green spaces provide students with a place to relax and unwind.
- Anil Kumar Gayen: Indian mathematician and statistician, known for his works on the Pearson product-moment correlation coefficient in the field of applied statistics.
- Bimal Krishna Matilal: Indian philosopher and Indologist, known for his work on Indian philosophy and comparative philosophy.
- Chhatradhar Mahato: Indian politician, known for his role in the formation of the All India Trinamool Congress.
- Debashankar Ray: Indian writer and journalist, known for his works on Bengali literature and culture
- Hiralal Sen: Indian politician, known for his role in the Indian independence movement
- Khagendranath Mitra: Indian actor, known for his works in Bengali cinema
Students have to secure at least 40% marks in aggregate to qualify the Vidyasagar University semester exams 2023.
It is a good and affordable college under Calcutta University
Vidyasagar College is a state government-aided public college, affiliated to the University of Calcutta, located in North Kolkata, West Bengal, India.