Do you aspire to show at a university or a college?
Since humans started learning about life, we’ve been witnessing the teacher’s contribution to the present world. The youth always get the right directions under the guidance of good and respectable Teachers or Professors. Teaching is both art and science. Teaching is conceptual and intellectual, creative, and sequential. Becoming a professor is often a tricky task. But, you’ll attain your goal if you retain a thought and follow the stages one by one.
Duties of a Professor
The duties of a professor are just not limited to classroom teaching but also handles other responsibilities associated with supervising, keeping records, monitoring, etc. Prepare lectures, syllabus, and labs for his or her classes.
- -Grade the category assignments.
- -Student counseling.
- -Supervise and help graduates in their research work.
- -Presentations in various institutes regarding education.
In order to be a professor, one must have some personality traits that complement the post. Candidate should be enthusiastic about teaching, good communication skill, problem-solving ability, confidence in his/her subject, desire to be told new things, etc.
Here’s a video on top 10 qualities of a great teacher–
- In order to be a professor at school, you may pursue post-graduation in your field of teaching preference.
- Since education is advanced education, you’re also required to do specialization i.e. M. Phil. or PhD.D. so as to be ready to teach at school levels.
- -Candidate must have scored 55% marks(general) and 50% marks(reserved class) within the academic degree program.
- -Candidate must have pursued post-graduation from a UGC recognized college or university.
- -Candidates who are going to be appearing for his or her final year Master’s Degree exams can apply for the UGC NET exam. Such candidates will only be considered for JRF and also the post of prof if they successfully pass in the Master’s Degree exams.
- -Candidates mustn’t be over 28 years old for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) as of the year of the exam. SC, OBC, ST, PwD, and girls candidates are given a relaxation of 5 years.
- -There is no age bar for aspirants who wish to appear for the role of Assistant professor.
- -Candidates who have secured a Ph.D. degree in line with the rules of UGC 2009 are exempted from the above eligibility criteria for NET/SELT/SET.
- -Candidates who have qualified the States Eligibility Test (SET) before June 1, 2002, will be exempted from qualifying UGC NET. Candidates who have cleared SET after June 1, 2002, can even apply directly for professor Posts within the state.
To become a professor you are required to take a few competitive exams:-
- -UGC – NET
- -CSIR – NET
UGC -NET(National eligibility test)
UGC NET is that the common test conducted by NTA and therefore the foremost step to becoming a professor. After getting the UGC NET Certificate for Lectureship candidates can apply for the professor’s posts in UGC approved colleges and universities across the country. The UGC NET exam is conducted in three sessions. Candidates have to qualify all the papers so as to be awarded JRF or the post of professor.
CSIR- NET is a national level exam, which conducted by the National Testing Agency. The exam is conducted within the field of Science – Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Mathematical Sciences. The exam is conducted to test the eligibility of the candidates to use for the Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) or Lectureship (LS).
GATE (Graduate aptitude test in engineering)
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is another All India Competitive exam to pursue a PhD or M Phil from IISc and IITs. After completing respective degrees, students get an opportunity to be a professor at IITs, NITs, and other top Engineering Schools of India.
SLET (State level eligibility test)
SLET is additionally conducted by University Grant Commission. By clearing SLET, you’ll be eligible to work with state-level colleges and universities.
Ph.D. students exempted from NET/SLET
As per the new guidelines, candidates can get an exemption from applying and qualifying NET Exam if they have a Ph.D. Degree.
- -The Ph.D. degree must be awarded through regular mode.
- -The research thesis done by them must be evaluated by a minimum of two external examiners.
- -They must publish a minimum of two papers that supported the Ph.D. thesis within the research journal.
- -Candidate must appear for viva-voce.
Scope and Salary
A professor is often leveled up. A professor can go up to the post of Senior professor, professor of eminence, director, pro-vice-chancellor, vice-chancellor, Chancellor. Professores enjoy a decent salary package usually the monthly salary of a professor lies between Rs 40000-Rs 90000. Professors of IIT, IIM, AIIMS, BITs get the best payments of all other institutions.
A great professor considers his student’s success as a reflection of his own. He will not remain indifferent in the case of continuous poor exam results but will do as much as possible to overcome such a situation.
“ GOOD TEACHERS ARE THE REASON WHY ORDINARY STUDENTS DREAM TO DO EXTRAORDINARY THINGS”