Getting into government jobs after graduation is a goal of almost every graduate in India. This guide will sail you across the best 10 exams that you can give after graduation.
The most popular competitive exam in India is UPSC CSE, also it is known as the toughest examination in India. Union Public Service Commision is responsible for appointments to and examinations for All India services and group A & group B of Central services.
Every year UPSC conducts the Civil Service Examination For which lakhs of aspirants apply. CSE is an examination for selecting group A posts including the most popular IAS, IPS & IFS posts. The eligibility criteria for the examination is that a candidate having a bachelor degree with 21 years of age can apply for the examination. This is a three stage examination including Pre exam, Mains exam and the Personal Interview. Every year approx 600-100 Vacancies are released.
SSC was set up in 1977. Staff Selection Commission (SSC) is a Government of India run organisation to recruit staff for various posts in the various Ministries and Departments of the Government of India and in Subordinate Offices. SSC CGL is a combined graduate level examination for various posts.
- Assistant Audit Officer
- Assistant Accounts Officer
- Assistant Section Officer
- Inspector of Income Tax
- Inspector (Central Excise)
- Assistant Enforcement Officer
- Sub Inspector -Central Bureau of Investigation
- Inspector-Central Bureau of Narcotics
- Junior Statistical Officer
- Assisting the Statistical Officer
- Accountant/ Junior Accountant
- Senior Secretariat Assistant/ Upper Division Clerks
- Tax Assistant CBDT/ CBIC
- Upper Division Clerk.
SSC conducts the exam for the above listed post. Eligibility involves a graduate degree from any discipline and acquired minimum age of 21. The exam is divided into stages:
Tier I- Computer Based Examination
Tier II- Computer Based Examination
Tier III- Pen and Paper Mode (Descriptive paper)
Tier IV- Computer Proficiency Test/ Skill Test (wherever applicable)/ Document Verification.
If you want to go into defence services after graduation this exam is for you.UPSC conducts the Combined Defence Services examination every year to recruit commissioned officers for Indian Navy, Army and Air force. The examination consists of two stages Test and SSB interview.Graduates are eligible to apply but there are some special conditions.
- For I.M.A. and Officers’ Training Academy, Chennai — Degree of a recognised
University or equivalent.
- For Indian Naval Academy—Degree in Engineering from a recognised
- For Air Force Academy—Degree of a recognised University (with Physics and
Mathematics at 10+2 level) or Bachelor of Engineering.
Apart from this candidates also need to meet some physical requirements according to the preference for post. The exam is conducted twice a year.
Air Force Common Aptitude Exam is conducted by Indian Air Force for selection of COMMISSIONED OFFICERS IN FLYING AND GROUND DUTY (TECHNICAL AND NON-TECHNICAL) BRANCHES. This is a graduate level examination for entry into the air force. Eligibility requirements for flying branches are as follows.
- Age – 20 to 24 years (at the time of commencement of course).Upper age limit for Candidates holding valid and current Commercial Pilot Licence issued by DGCA (India) is relaxed up to 26 years(at the time of commencement of course).
- Nationality – Indian
- Marital Status – Single
- Gender – Men and Women.
- Educational Qualifications
- Minimum of 50% marks each in Maths & Physics at 10+2 level.
- Graduates (Three Year Course) in any discipline from a recognised University who have attained minimum 60% marks or equivalent OR BE/B Tech (Four Year Course) from a recognised university with minimum 60% marks or equivalent.
- For ground duty (Non-technical) a bachelor degree is required in any field, whereas for ground duty (technical) physics + maths in 12th standard is required apart from bachelor degree in any discipline.
Institute Of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) is an autonomous body set up by Reserve bank of India, Central financial institutions and public sector banks. IBPS conducts an exam to recruit Probationary Officers (PO) for public sector banks. This is a graduate level exam with three stages pre, mains and interview. Candidates require a valid bachelor degree. Minimum age limit is 20 years. The pre exam is online computer based exam which consists of three sections.
- Quantitative aptitude.
- English language.
And the mains exam consist of four sections:
- Quantitative Aptitude
- General Awareness
- Reasoning & Computer Aptitude
- English Language
The interview consists of panel discussion on current affairs, banking awareness and candidates profile.
State Public Service Commission
Like UPSC CSE, state governments of different states also conduct exams to recruit candidates for administrative posts. Popular states service exams are MPPSC, UPPSC, RAS, HSSC. They follow the similar pattern as is followed by the UPSC. These exams are graduate level, the main difference between upsc and these exams is that in this reservation is there for candidates of home state.
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an examination conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore and the seven Indian Institutes of Technology (at Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee).
This is an entrance exam for post graduate and doctoral courses. I have kept this exam in this guide because this exam can get you a job in top psus of India. Companies such as :
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL)
- National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC)
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
- Power Grid Corporation of India (PGCI)
- Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL)
- Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL)
Recruit on the basis of gate exam score and call for direct interviews.
CAPF (Central Armed Police Force) consist of seven security forces as follows:
- CRPF Central Reserve Police Force
- BSF Border Security Force
- ITBP Indo-Tibetian Border Police Force
- SSB Sashastra Seema Bal
- NSG National Security Guard
- CISF Central Industrial Security Forces
- AR Assam Rifles
This exam is also conducted by UPSC. It is a graduate level examination. Eligibility is a graduate who is a citizen of India at least 20 years of age can apply. There is a physical cum medical test also for the candidates qualifying which the candidates are selected.
Railway Recruitment Board (RRB) conducts this examination for Non- Technical popular categories(NTPC). The educational qualification for all the posts is given below:
- Commercial Apprentice – Degree from recognised institute.
- Station master – Degree from recognised institute.
- Goods Guard – Degree from recognised institute.
- Junior Accounts assistant/Typist – Degree + Typing proficiency.
- Senior Clerk cum Typist – Degree + Typing Proficiency.
- Senior Commercial Cum Ticket Clerk – Degree from recognised institute.
- Senior Time Keeper – Degree + typing proficiency.
- Traffic Assistant – Degree from recognised institute.
The RRB NTPC Exam Pattern consists of the following stages:
- CBT Stage – 1
- CBT Stage – 2
- Skill / Aptitude Test
- Document Verification
- Medical Examination
This is conducted in online mode.
UPSC Indian Engineering Services exam is specially conducted for engineering graduates. Only four branches of engineering are there for the posts.
- Electrical Engineer
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electronics & Telecommunication engineering
There are three stages in the exam Pre, mains & interview. Candidates are selected for class 1 and class 2 posts. Candidates having a graduate engineering degree in a relevant field are eligible to apply for this examination.
Also Read: 8 tips to be a travel agent after 12th