Interested in working and the development of machines? Then opt for mechanical engineering for after 12th and become a future Mechanical Engineer.
About Mechanical Engineering
According to Wikipedia, Mechanical engineering is an engineering branch that combines engineering physics and mathematics principles with material science to design, analyze, manufacture, and maintain mechanical systems. B.Tech is a four-year duration program and is career-oriented. The course focuses on providing learning to prepare students for applying the principles of mechanical engineering for designing, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. During the course, they are trained on how to develop machine designs and related processes.
Skill set Required
The skill set required to become a mechanical engineer is as follows-
The basic eligibility criteria to met by the students are-
- -The candidate must have passed class 12th.
- -The candidate must have studied Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, or Biology as core subjects i.e. must be a science stream student.
- -The candidate must have secured a minimum of 60% in class 12th. Reserved classes are given 5% relaxation.
- -For post-graduation, candidate must have completed his/her graduation in the same specialization and must have secured passing marks.
Admission process &Top Entrance exams
- -Admissions are either done on the basis of merit in class 12th or on the basis of the entrance exam results.
- -As on the basis of merit candidates score in the class, 12th is taken into consideration and sometimes direct admission in management quota is given.
- -Some institutes accept the scores of national-level or state-level B.Tech entrance exams followed by counseling rounds. Some popular entrance exams are:-
- -JEE Main and JEE Advanced
- -MHT CET
Apart from cracking entrances, one needs to score good class 12th to get admission to a good and reputed college offering the course.
How to crack entrance exams?
Some tips to consider in order to qualify these above-mentioned entrance exams-
- -Keep your fundamentals clear in Physics, Chemistry, Maths, GK, English.
- -Practice sample papers and previous years papers
- -Give mock tests
Top colleges/universities to study in
Some of the top colleges to pursue B.Tech mechanical engineering are:-
- -Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi/Kharagpur/Roorkee/Guwhati/Calicut/Warangal/Jodhpur/Kanpur
- -National Institute of Technology (NIT), Nagpur, Trichy, Suratkal
- -Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS)
- -Delhi Technological University, Delhi
After completing the course, the candidate has several jobs available for which he/she can apply. Below given is a list of job profile that a graduate in mechanical engineering is eligible-
Mechanical Engineer:- A mechanical engineer is responsible for the planning and manufacturing of new products.
Senior Mechanical Engineer:- A senior mechanical engineer is responsible for creating various plans and schemes to improve mechanical systems and electrical systems.
Design Engineer:- A design engineer is responsible for creating blueprints and schematics for systems and machines.
Mechanical Design Engineer:- A mechanical design engineer is responsible for manufacturing goods for the automotive, construction, railway, etc.
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer:- A senior mechanical design engineer is responsible for developing and creating mechanical parts, and work on existing equipment and improve the design or correct recurring faults.
Project Engineer:- A project engineer is responsible to ensure the projects are completed as per the budgets and on time.
Professor:- A professor is a person who is an expertise in the field. His/her responsibility is to train the young minds who are new and are willing to learn about the field.
Automobile and Manufacturing Industries offer a surfeit of opportunities for mechanical engineering graduates because, with the rapid industrial revolution, the demand for machines and automation has increased which results in more demand of engineers. Below listed are some of the top companies that hire-
- -Maruti Suzuki
- -Larsen and Toubro Ltd
- -Tata Motors
- -Gas Authority of India Ltd.
- -Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
- -Coal India Limited (CIL)
- -National Aluminium Company Ltd. (NALCO)
- -Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL)
- -Thyssen Krupp
What after B.Tech?
Apart from doing a job a graduate in Mechanical engineering can pursue higher studies. They can opt for M.Tech or MBA and also Ph.D. after appearing in the GATE exam or also appear for various government exams.
The starting salary is Rs 3.6 LPA, a Senior Mechanical Engineer may earn around Rs 6 LPA, a Project Engineer earn around Rs 3.5LPA. Thus one can figure out that the salary depends on the job profile, graduating college, experience, and the recruiting company. After gaining experience there is a good chance for gaining increment and higher posts at the work place.
Pros and Cons
Every profession does bring along some advantages and disadvantages. Below mentioned are some pros and cons of choosing it:-
- -Evergreen Branch
- -Good Pay-scale
- -Global opportunities
- -Exciting Workplace
- -Respected Profession
- -High competition
- -Pressure and stress
- -Coursework is quite difficult